Tuesday, January 29, 2013

officially home owners!

It is official! Obviously - from previous posts. We moved into our home the first weekend in December. I was determined to get in the house before Christmas (my favorite holiday and time of year). Let me back track a little though!

 Matt and I had walked away from the house we offered on and decided that the other houses in the mix were not worth offering on. We were out on a Sunday not specifically to go to open houses, but we had just gotten into the routine of taking a Sunday drive and ending up wherever. We drove over near my parents neighborhood and kept driving out further near an outdoor shopping center here in town and happened to see that there was a Five Guys hamburger place in the shopping center. I had no idea that Five Guys was even here in town - I had only had it with Matt in Cincinnati when visiting his family. We both love Five Guys so we immediately pulled in and decided to eat there. We must have had a late breakfast because it was around 1:15 when we ate. We got our food and talked about our game plan for the house hunt. We talked about the area we were in and both agreed that it was a nice area (a little further away from what we were familiar with) but we wondered why we had not considered that area in our house hunt. As we are finishing our burgers and fries I got on my phone to look if there were any open houses in the area that day. There was one that started at 2pm not far from where we were eating.

We hopped in the Jeep and made our way there. We showed up to the house at about 2:05 and it did not seem like there was any open house happening. I looked on my phone again and it said there was an open house on that date. I read the description and looked at the pictures again and was somewhat disappointed. The outside of the house was nothing like I had imagined us living in. In fact it was extremely similar to the house my dad grew up in and that I spent much time in visiting my grandma. The pictures made it seem so great on the inside so I was willing to look past the exterior, after all things can be changed cosmetically. After drinking a large diet coke at the burger place I really had to use the restroom (TMI? sorry!) so I told Matt we couldn't wait around or I would pee my pants! He reluctantly pulled away from the house and took me a mile or 2 down the road to a Dairy Queen.



Once I got back in the car Matt said he wanted to go back and see if the realtor had showed up. I was kind of over it and annoyed that no one was there at the said time. After some coaxing Matt got me to agree to go back to the house. The house is on the way out of the city - it is not in the country by any means but it is about 3/4 of a mile to the next county from our neighborhood. I was never familiar with this area growing up - I guess I kind of stayed in a little bubble around my parent's house and my school. Matt and I had discussed eventually moving to that county (they supposedly have better schools) and building a house and having some land, so the fact that we were getting pretty close to that county was a good thing to us.

Back to the open house!


Matt and I pulled up to see the realtor putting a sign in the yard and unlocking the front door. I wasn't so sure since she was running late that this would go down well - I was prepared to be disappointed. We were the first and only ones in the house. We walked through pretty quickly - we were pleased and pretty surprised at how good of shape it was in. It was somewhat "flipped" I guess you could say. We did not ever see the before pictures, but the man selling it had obviously done some work to the home. The kitchen was all new except the flooring. All new carpet throughout (which we have learned now is cheap cheap cheap carpet!). Neutral paint throughout and pretty much a blank slate for us. The bedrooms were not very big, but there was a basement, living room and eat in kitchen area. Plenty of living area for the two of us and a small child in the future.

We chatted with the realtor about the area and the history of the home and told her we would be in touch. I don't know if we truly meant we would be in touch, but turns out - we were being honest!  Everything that happened from then on was a blur. I wasn't sold on the exterior, but knew that the interior was too good to pass up for the price. We both thought that it would be nice to be in a part of town neither of us were super familiar with - that way we could discover it together. With me being from here and Matt not, I often forget that I am the only one who knows where things are. Now that we are further out than I am used to, we get to learn our surroundings and neighborhood together.


We brought our realtor to the house that same week to look again and made an offer that night. The owner accepted the offer and we began the process. Everything went pretty smooth. Our inspection came back good with just some minor fixes that the owner agreed to make and we closed on our house at the end of November and moved in the first Saturday of December.

Celebrating our first night in the house with a bottle of champagne from our wedding
I was so pleased to be in the house before Christmas and did some decorating on the outside of the house before unpacking any boxes. The house had sat empty for quite some time so I wanted the neighbors to know that we were there and that we took pride in our home. There was an older gentleman walking his dog not that long after we moved in and I was outside doing something. The gentleman looked at the house and looked at me and gave me a "thumbs up". That made me feel good, I want our home to reflect us and to be welcoming to those around us.

the first snow in our new home
handy man Matt putting on new locks
We have lots of plans for the house and have already begun painting, decorating and doing some handy work (Matt is my awesome handy man). There are big plans for the outside of the house once warmer weather hits. I am sure you have noticed the lack of landscaping - there is absolutely nothing planted in the yard! I also have plans to paint or get new shutters, a new front door, at least some landscaping, and rip out the chain length fence in the backyard and install a nice wooden one ourselves. Matt would like to build a deck.  Right now we have a concrete slab. I would love to have a deck as well, but around here we do everything ourselves and I am not sure if I will have it in me after we do the fence (which I am already dreading).

bringing home our Christmas tree


Next up: a feature wall in our basement! It involves 100 yr old reclaimed barn wood. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Very happy you are loving the new home. Hope next blog you will show the wooden wall you all put in. Love, Aunt Denise and Uncle Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your blog Hannah! So happy for you and Matt.

    -Sara Sotelo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your blog Hannah! So happy for you and Matt.

    LIOB,
    Sara Sotelo

    ReplyDelete