Friday, February 11, 2011

bridezilla!


So I was working last night at the basketball game and one of the ladies I work with asked me if I have had a "bridezilla" moment. I just thought it was funny because that is not the first person to ask me this. Do I seem like the person that would be a bridezilla? To those who know me best the answer would most likely be "yes" - BUT I think everyone would be surprised because I honestly don't think I have. I believe I have only cried once (no yelling - just tears). That is pretty good I think... For those of you who don't know me that well (which I don't think people really know me unless they have lived with me, cleaned with me, or done crafts with me (those are my intense moments). I am extremely particular and anal when it comes to certain things - a perfectionist actually. I get that from my dad - which is not a bad thing. The only bad thing about it is that I stress myself out and may pop a blood vessel one day. I do get bent out of shape easily. Many of you may be surprised though, because I can truly say that I have not had a bridezilla moment - yet. I pray that I am able to keep my cool and take everything with a grain of salt as the big day draws nearer.
A lot of people have asked me if I am doing a lot of the wedding stuff myself. Yeah, sure I can whip up some bouquets pretty fast and hand stamp a fleur de lis on the programs etc, but that would cause the crazy in me to come out. I would not dare put my fiance' or family through that. My mother and myself's philosophy is to leave it to the seasoned professionals. For my mother and I, it is worth the money to hire people to do everything. I am only getting married once and I want to remember it in a positive way, not me crying at 3 am because the centerpieces are not to my liking. Some things are just worth spending money on. I am not saying I have a huge budget either. As of now our spreadsheet says we are under budget and we have figured every possible expense in. I am very lucky to have a mom who is so budget savvy and whips up a spreadsheet better than me. We have been on top of our budget from the beginning and it has really really helped with the planning. We went in and started putting in what we wanted or projected to spend in each area that totaled up to the budget or close to. Then when we would go to our vendors we knew what we wanted to spend and could tell them. This made things so much easier. I was also very thankful that I was working for a wedding planner because I knew going into consultations with vendors how much I could get for something. I was not going to let them take advantage of my money. I truly believed that we have hired people that know what they are doing, familiar with my venue and each other and know what I am expecting.
I told all my vendors what I was expecting and that it was a lot. I was very nice and calm about it - no bridezilla veins were popping out. I just said that I notice everything and expect everything to be perfect. I would rather them know ahead of time than the day of when it is too late. I fully expect for some things to not go the way that I planned them to, but that is why I am so thankful that I have worked a few weddings in my lifetime. I have seen the mistakes first hand, and mistakes happen. I have also asked a TON of questions and I am not done emailing, calling, and going back in to meet with my vendors. I would much rather know what I am getting than be surprised. I want my wedding to reflect me - I want it to look like my personality is shining through, not just the vendors professionalism. So if I get a choice on how the napkin is folded or how the table is set I am going to decide - I am not going to let them just guess how I would like it. Yes, some may say it is anal - but it is the little things that can bring me joy or make me mad. If I were in my vendors shoes - which I have been - I would want to know how the bride wants everything. I would hate to just guess and it end up being completely wrong. Ok, well I could talk about this for days but I will stop dragging. If you are a bride planning their wedding, leave a comment of your most recent breakdown or bridezilla moment! And if you have not had one, cheers to you!

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I enjoy this! I didn't have a bridezilla moment till the day of. My cake was completely wrong, and I even paid extra for them to do something to it that they didn't do. I was upset and I think I may have cried for like 2.5 seconds but after that I was over it because my nerves were way to tore up ha. Your wedding is comming up fast!! Good luck with everything you have left!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I thought my fellow engaged/married friends would enjoy! It is so easy to get upset about things! You did good - I would have been pretty pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think at some point all brides have a moment of break down.... I was 6 months pregnant in our wedding!! I was too stubborn to move the date because I wanted to get married in Jan 2011 :) I freaked out often about my dress and would just cry!!! Everything works out though! Your going to be a GORGEOUS bride!

    ReplyDelete